Facts About Oymyakon Russia – Whether it’s the peaceful ambiance, access to shopping centers and restaurants, quality of education and healthcare, job security, an abundance of adventure and activities, and so much more. When looking for the best place to live, the best climate and weather is probably one of few things to consider whether retiring or just looking for a fresh start.
But looking for a country with the best climate is never an easy task simply because everyone has their ideas on what sort of weather they like. But how about living in one of the coldest places on earth? So here we have gathered facts about Oymyakon Russia, one of the earth’s coldest places. Let’s get into it!
Interesting Facts About Oymyakon Russia Includes: Earth’s One Of Coldest Place
1. Situated in Oymyakonsky District of the Republic Of Sakha, located along the Indigirka River, 30 kilometers (19 mi) northwest of Tomtor on the Kolyma Highway in the northeastern part of Russia.
2. The small remote town of Oymyakon, north of the Sea of Okhotsk, is one of the coldest permanently inhabited settlements on Earth with only about 500-900 inhabitants as per the 2018 census. According to the United Kingdom Met Office, in 1933 a temperature of -90 degrees Fahrenheit was registered in the town.
3. According to Wikipedia, The name of the town “Oymyakon” is named after Oymyakon River whose name is said to come from Even word “heyum” or “kheium” which means “frozen lake” or “unfrozen patch of water or unfrozen water.”
4. Despite its harsh climate where pipes and ground freezes, car engines freeze so quickly that they kept running all the time, few crops only grow and almost everything is covered in snow, people live like normal in the valley, with the area equipped with a bank, post office, schools, and even airport runway as reported in Insider. Also, the local diet is mostly meat and fish sometimes eaten frozen.
5. Winter in Oymyakon is long and extremely cold for seven months of the year while summers are mild to warm, sometimes hot. According to Wikipedia, the warmest month recorded in town is July 2010 with an average temperature of about +18.7 °C (65.7 °F).
6. Oymyakon has been featured in various travel and news magazines online as one of the coldest inhabited places in the world. As well as numerous television series and shows such as Siberia, The Winter’s Tale, Extreme World, 60 Minutes, Castle, Departures and etc.
To get to know more about the rural locality of Oymyakon in Russia, you can refer here to Wikipedia .
Featured Image Photo Credits: Maarten Takens Flickr
Disclaimer. The photos used above are not ours. For DMCA removal simply shoot us an email using our Contact Page.
What do you think of our facts About Oymyakon Russia? Make sure to put your comments below!