Phi Phi Island Facts – For the past few years if you haven’t noticed, traveling to any destinations has gone easier and convenient than ever. Thanks to the internet, in just few tap and input few of our information using our must have gadgets for traveling – smartphone. We can just book flights and find the best hotels deals online, find useful information, discover the best possible routes to our destination via Google Maps, we meet fellow travelers along the way and a whole lot more.
Now if you’re one of those people who makes the most out of their holiday, following the trend in the internet traveling to the most popular destination around the globe. Considering visiting the Southeast Asian country of Thailand and make sure to at least spend a day exploring its tropical beaches and island. To continue, you we have gathered Phi Phi Island Facts – one of the most well-known and visited attraction in the country.
Thailand Phi Phi Island Facts Includes:
1. Situated at the mouth of Phang Nga Bay, between the Krabia coast and southern tip of Phuket. Specifically about 40 kilometers (25miles) south-east of Phuket and are part of Hat Nopparat Thara-Ko Phi Phi National Park – covers a total area of about 242437 Rai (387899200 sq. meters)
2. The original name of the island is “Pulao Pi ah Pi” which refers to the mangrove found there. Until it became Phi Phi (pronounced “pee pee”) today which was said to originate from Malay. The Thai population in Phi Phi still remains more than 80% are Muslim.
3. Phi Phi Island which are administratively part of Krabi province. Consist of 6 islands namely Koh Young (Mosquito Island), Koh Pai (Bamboo Island), Ko Phi Phi Leh(Ley), Koh Phi Phi Don (largest/most populated) and the two islets at the southern end named Koh Bida Nai and Koh Bida Noi.
BOOK HOTELS HERE VIA: AGODA | BOOKING.COM
4. According to Wikipedia, Phi Phi Island become worldwide famous when one of the islands – Ko Phi Phi Leh was used as location in “The Beach” – a 2000 British-American drama/thriller film staring Leonardo DiCaprio. But then various criticism was received by the film company after claims that the island’s environment was damage after producer bulldozed beach areas and planted palm trees to make the area resemble in the books.
5. As per reports by The Guardian, due to too much tourist visiting the island – Maya Bay in Ko Phi Phi Leh(Ley) Phuket Thailand is now temporary closed by Thai authorities for four months starting June 2018. To allow recovery of the island’s battered coral reefs and sea life. According to Country Living who have listed its holiday destinations at risk of being ruined by tourist, if these world famous natural wonders will not be taken care properly, sooner or later these tourist spots will be destroyed for good.
6. Phi Phi Island is one of the most visited and famous attraction of the country,. Known for its perfect snorkeling destination, breathtaking lime stone rock formation. As well as cliffs and caves, scenic viewpoint, white sandy beaches and turquoise crystal clear waters.
Featured Image Photo Credits: Unsplash Free Stock Photos – @evankrause_
Disclaimer. The photos used above are not ours. For DMCA removal simply shoot us an email using our Contact Page.
What do you think of our Thailand Phi Phi Island facts? Make sure to put your comments below!